I was drunk,
but I was flattered and I was pretty zeroed in on catching as many of her
glimpses as I could. I didn't have any ulterior motives - I was just
fixated on finding out if they actually were intended for me, or if they were
consecutive coincidences.
They had to
be coincidences. They had to be. He was right there. In-the-room. Watching
her. Eyeing me. Watching her. They had to be coincidences. Please.
I still don't
know how she and I ended up whispering words into each others ears in the small
corner of the dorm room, but I'll take the blame because…well, just
because.
With each
whisper, she used her hand to touch my leg, then my arm, then my chest,
then my elbow. That’s a lot of touching, right? Each touch was equal to someone
sounding a blow horn in the room to grab his attention.
All she
wanted to do was kiss and don't confuse that with her wanting an
innocent peck-on-the-lip, and then we smile at each other, blushing.
I mean all she literally wanted to do was- no talking face on face forget
about breathing or any decency- kissing. And this girl was
committed to her craft. She was ready to go down with the ship for
one silly kiss. She was strong. I couldn't shake her.
So what did I
do? I'll tell ya, I let her have her way with me right there in the hallway,
where all the action happens, but with all my might, I watched that door knob
looking for the slightest movement so I could throw her off of me. I could
easily shove her away from me, I just didn’t, until I had to, when that
doorknob finally did jiggle and he appeared in the doorframe, breathing like he
just ran a marathon in full sprint. We looked at each other for a minute.
Neither of us said anything and I quietly walked passed him whispering, “you
two should talk,” disappearing back into the party.
The door
flies open and he walks back into our room looking for me. His
anger-filled sober eyes vs. my blood-shot drunk eyes.
Oh boy, she
told him. He knows.
He continued
to walk towards me and by the look on his face, I'm now the asshole.
“You're an
asshole," I anticipated.
"You’re
the only one she’ll talk to,” were the words that came out of his mouth.
"Not
me." I said.
"Yes,
you, Come on dude. She said she'll only talk to you."
Unbelievable.
Instead of
bar hopping, I was drunk-running down the hall to catch up with her and talk
her off the ledge of a college party gone pear shaped.
Did I want to
sprint to her and play counselor? Hell No. My alcohol triggers were
at full sail. Did I? Hell Yes.
I didn't think
to say no. She clearly didn't tell him that we kissed in the hall
because if she did I’d be in the fetus position with a bloody nose. So
he doesn't know, and I don’t want to rock the boat, so, fine, I’ll
go. I’ll go talk to her while they all head downtown and I guess we’ll catch up
soon.
For him, soon
never came. For us, soon came too soon.
I followed my
best friend’s girlfriend into her dorm room and closed the door
behind me.
I can’t tell
you that I was suddenly strong enough to stop anything that happened behind
that door, and it’s my opinion that if not for him pounding on the door a few
quick minutes after I had closed it, we would have gone further.
-
-
-
We simply registered to be college roommates, and as college roommates,
it turned out we had a talent for dorm room parties. That last dorm room party
ended up being the last dorm room party we threw, ever. Again.
Our
friendship has never been the same since the minute he had to pound his fist on
that door.
We
didn’t speak for years and somewhere in that time he got
his deserved revenge. I was arrested, three times. I went to jail + I
went to treatment + I’ve been divorced + I lost a pregnancy. Somewhere in there
is deserved revenge whether he wished it on me or not.
The road to
repair has been a long one. An inconsistent one. An emotional one.
In hindsight,
it doesn’t matter who kissed who, that’s just child's play but
I learned a
lot of lessons freshman year, and this, the worst lesson of all. I didn’t know
I had so much to lose. Mike R, Andy P, Scott W, Neil W, Chad
A, Eric R, Sue K, most important, Tom. All sorts of people from
our home town found out and all of them had an opinion of me. The relationship
with all these guys had been destroyed. I don’t know if I’ve regained any
credibility with them even today. I guarantee you none of these friendships
have ever been the same again and they probably never will.
But I made
this bed. And I also sleep in it. Alone.
It was booze.
Not just booze, it was also me, but it was because of booze.
It was in
that same year I would first hear the words “I don’t like it when you drink.
It’s like you turn into someone that I don’t even know, like you’re out of
control.” Let me be the first to tell you - that pierces your heart and the
moment never leaves you. It wouldn’t be the last time I’d ever hear those very
words repeated. But this first time they came from the mouth of my very best
friend. Another sting.
My reaction
was a single raised eyebrow. Really?
What was I
supposed to say? I don’t think I said anything; I just swept it under the rug.
I’m glad he
was enough of a friend to tell me.
I wasn’t mad
when he said it, but I’m disappointed that I proved him right, over and over
again.
Let’s agree
that at some point in life, in our own life, a do-over would be fantastic.
For me, 1992.
Not the entire year. Just college freshman year.
Looking back,
and after an on-again-off-again 22-year love/hate relationship with sobriety, I
can admit, finally, there might be a problem.
The buzz,
man, I want the buzz, ASAP.
When I’m
drunk, I can’t stop, or don’t want to stop, and I’m not sure if it makes a
difference where the difference is between the two.
But also,
when I’m drunk, everything boils down to one common denominator, every, every,
every time: Me.
We simply registered to be college roommates, and as college roommates, it turned out we had a talent for dorm room parties. That last dorm room party ended up being the last dorm room party we threw, ever. Again.
I have known you a very long time my friend and although I don't condone or excuse what happened, it did and I give you kudos for saying it! We all have "skeletons" in our closets but it is how we choose do deal with them that matters!
ReplyDeletePeace bro. Healing is a process, forgiveness is a gift, and sobriety can be a challenging occupation. ~ Tuck
ReplyDelete